Neil Kandelaars is a senior lawyer with over 45 years’ experience in a range of legal fields. Prior to leaving Australia in November 2007 to work overseas, he was a partner in a first-tier national firm, practising in commercial and taxation law with a special interest in succession and estate planning. Following his return to Australia in October 2011, he provided, and continues to provide, legal consultancy services to a leading offshore legal firm.
Neil joined Donlan Lawyers in January 2022 in a part-time capacity, working primarily from our Victor Harbor office, while continuing to provide legal consultancy services to two offshore legal firms.
Neil has considerable experience across a range of legal fields. In later years, his professional emphasis has been on commercial, property and revenue law.
- His commercial law experience includes advising on business acquisitions & sales and drafting a broad range of commercial documents.
- His property law experience includes the sale & purchase of landmark buildings in the Adelaide CBD, regional shopping centres and several wineries. Such experience also included extensive retail, commercial and industrial leasing as well as major due diligence projects.
- His revenue law experience includes broad experience in interpreting relevant state and commonwealth revenue legislation, considering the taxation & stamp duty implications of adopting differing business structures (i.e. joint ventures, partnerships, companies, trusts, etc) and documentation, planning and reviewing documentation for GST issues, and structuring for stamp duty & payroll tax.
- He has a special interest in estate & succession planning as well as asset-protection.
Qualifications and Memberships
Master of Taxation, University of New South Wales, 2002
Master of Laws (Commercial), Adelaide University, 1992
Bachelor of Laws, Adelaide University, 1975
Member – Law Society of South Australia
Prior to leaving Australia in November 2007, Neil was a member of the following:
- Fellow of the Taxation Institute of Australia (TIA)
- Member of TIA Legislative and Technical Sub-Committee
Neil lives on the South Coast of South Australia and is committed to community service. He is a member of the CFS as a volunteer firefighter in the Lower Inman Valley Brigade and a member of the Port Elliot Surf Lifesaving Club.